Thursday, August 8, 2013

Shirley Jean...

Mike's grandmother passed away a week or so ago.  She was a faithful woman, to the Lord and to her family - even mine.  My oldest knew her best out of the great grandchildren, because of his age.  We often prayed for great grand mommy to feel better.  He went and visited often with his own grand mom.  My husband was emotional as he recalled all of the memories from his childhood that Shirley had participated in.  I imagine this will be a repeat scenario for my own adult children when their sweet grandparents, who have built into them for years and spent time loving on them, go to meet Jesus. 
 
We explained to Graham that it was Great Grand Mom's special day to meet Jesus and that we will all have ours.  He asked a few questions...like "mom, is coop going to meet Jesus (bc I was taking the baby with me to say goodbye)?" - "not today baby" and "are you going to meet Jesus" - "today is not my special day babe" then onto to the "if you are going to see great grand mom right now and she is meeting Jesus why don't you want to meet him?" - crickets.  Great question son.  After, I tried to answer all of his questions he said he was excited for Great Grand Mom to not feel sick anymore.  This is our first real conversation about death (aside from a friends dog - Diesel that G is obsessed with talking about) and all and all it wasn't bad and I think he "got" the necessary points.  More questions will likely come when he realizes she is not here to visit anymore.  He has a sweet spirit and really loved his Great Grand Mom.
 
I believe the following two pictures are some of Shirley's last.  They were both taken in the last month.
 
Graham, Grand Mom and Great Grand Mother.
 
Coop and Great Grand Mother and Grand Father.
 
At the memorial service, Mike's mom arranged for Shirley's famous oatmeal raisin cookies to be served and she had printed out the recipe for people to take (which I thought was such a sweet touch - leave it to Karen to excel in organization and thoughtfulness).  Side note:  I guess at my funeral my kids will have to serve tacos - bc I make them every other day.  The recipe will say...brown meat, add water, open seasoning packet, dump and mix.  I may need to work on my legacy.
 
So I felt there would be no greater honor than to whip up these cookies for my husband who said his grandmother swapped the raisins for chocolate chips "just for him".
 
Making cookies would be futile without some big boy help... (LOVE the closed eyes - so so cute.)
 
Not sure I have ever used this much sugar in one dessert - WHOA.

 
Little taste of the batter while mama was attending to a smaller boy baby...shame.
 
Checking to see if they are still hot.
 
Delivering to dad, one may or may not have slipped off the plate onto the garage floor...
 
We got this review from Mike on Shirley's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies...
 
We don't dole out the sweets in our house, but Graham wanted to try a cookie...I obliged (I mean that's what Shirley would have wanted) and the sweet child just looked at it on the plate and continued playing trains. 
 
 No eating, just happy to have it with him.  A man of great restraint.
 
I didn't know Shirley well and in fact I have only known her in sickness.  Even ill she was graceful and had a heart tuned to the Lord.  I'm thankful she is with the Lord and I am even more thankful for my children's grandparents and my own remaining grandparents.
 
Shirley Jean (shout out Care) these Cookies were for you.  You lived and passed with great love.  Life really is such a brief moment.
 
Let's Hear it for Jesus Who is Faithful to Prepare a Place for Us

No comments:

Post a Comment