Saturday, November 5, 2011

I caved...

Over the past two years I have been putting off hanging a "please knock" sign on my door.  I have been secretly saying to myself, my kids sleep fine through the noise (they are amazing after all).  My nanny always mentioned the door bell ringing constantly when she was here with G (to which I thought "wah wah nanny K" - you're fine).  Just kidding, I didn't give much thought to it at all - my apologies Kayla and Jules.

Now that the tables have turned (enter that don don donnnn music) and I am here with the two boys on maternity leave you would NEVER believe how many people DO ring the door bell in one day.  I counted the other day and it happened 4 times in a span of three hours.  Friends, neighbors, family, UPS man (like family we order so much stuff online - I should invite him in, he is like Santa), Fedex man (distaste as he is always dropping off more junk equipment for me to store for Mikes job), solicitors, stray dogs, you name it and it happens between 2-5pm (prime nap time). 

So, I gave in and put a paper sign up, but the whole time I am thinking "that does not match my house" (enter Mike's eyes rolling).  Although his eyes are rolling, every time someone rings the door bell when he is home and one or two boys are asleep he flies to the door and gives whoever it is the crazy eyes, like I could kill you right now...and they don't even know we have kids in here (they must be bad at context clues - bubble machine on porch, trike out front, baby swing, tiny shoes, etc).  Side Note: I once asked Kelsey if she thought someone in my house knew I was a Christian to which she said, um you have bible verses on your wall, 1000 children's bibles, bible studies on the bar, crosses up, hello? - point taken - mental note - remove a few Jesus decorations (but not too many or how would people know - oh, I'm supposed to tell them about Jesus - hmmm).  Anyway, so I started my search for a cute/ fancy sign.  I thought about making one, but I have TOO MANY projects going, for example STARTING G and T's baby books.  Oh yes, I have Belly Books and Birthday Books for each, but no baby books - worst mom ever - I will get it done.  I digress, ok so I have a very SMALL crevice where the doorbell is, so I needed something tiny. 

I searched ETSY (I wish I was crafty enough for my own online store) and this is what I found. I even ordered two for a few girlfriends.



Cute, huh?  It really dresses up my 1960's cream door bell.  The woman that made them (Melanie) was super responsive and kind.  She catered to my A-type...letting me know they were made and letting me know they had shipped.  All that to say, I love ETSY and props to Melanie (whom I don't know, but I think we would be friends).  Her shop is sweetmellyjane -  http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetmellyjane - and she has lots of cute stuff, including homemade dish scrubbie things.  Why wasn't I blessed with a talent....ugh.

Anywho...Let's Hear it for my Sweeping Boys.  Let's Hear it for my UPS Man.

3 comments:

  1. You are too sweet Tara! I think we would be friends, too! Hope the sign helps! :)

    Melanie (from sweetmellyjane)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this, too. I've seen a sign before that said, "You wake 'em, you take 'em. Please knock!" Funny, but of course I don't want to encourage random people to steal my babies. ;-)

    As for Mike's crazy eyes at people at the door during naptime...I totally do that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - you are an amazing new addition t0 my blog. Thanks for commenting! I will return the love in Munkinland.

    ReplyDelete