Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Farming...

This book is changing my life.  I'm only half way through, but the gist is sustainable living.  Meaning farming, composting, canning.  etc. 


So, step one....farming.  My grandpa was a farmer, my dad grew up farming, and now I'm going to farm garden.  Here is our garden from last year.  It wasn't a total bust, we got some tomatoes, okra, and a zucchini.  In the next few weeks I am going to turn this garden into a thriving Whole Foods vegetable isle in my backyard.  Stay tuned

Check it out, we have one head of red leaf lettuce that is growing from last year. 
It's a sign, I'm sure.

Next on the list, chickens in the backyard....kidding (kind of).

Let's Hear it for Generations of "Farmers".

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I came across your blog from Erin Ellis' blog. My husband and I are long-time friends of the Carpenters. Kelsey and I went to high school together.

    Anyway, we live in Richardson Heights and our next door neighbors have chickens. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you decide to really go for the whole chicken in the backyard thing! I'm sure they'd love to share their experience. They also had one of their latest batch of chicks recently turn into a rooster and I would be happy to steal it for you if you're in the market for a pubescent bird that practices his crowing at 7am for all to hear! :)

    Emily
    emily.kerr@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. Emily - That's hilarious that they have chickens next to you! I was kind of kidding b/c we live in the city and would not want to ANNOY our neighbors. Where the heck do yall live, it must be close to Mike and I?

    We LOVE the Carpenters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by the Carpenters, she means that she loves Kayla Carpenter.

      Delete